As senior-level civil engineering students, you have taken courses in a number of CE disciplines/areas and have, hopefully, found something that you enjoy about civil engineering. Among the criteria that ABET uses in evaluating engineering programs are a series of student outcomes. These outcomes include “an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences “ and “an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.” The library assignment is geared toward assessing how well you can research a current issue facing civil engineers and then how well you can communicate your findings. In essence, it is a mini-research project.
• Start by picking an area of civil engineering that interests you. The more focused, the better – water reuse rather just environmental engineering (even more focused would be “membrane technologies in water reuse”).
• Find at least five (5) articles which relate to this issue or issues. The articles must be current, with at least three from the past 5 years, while the other two must be within 10 years. If you wish to use more than 5 articles, I won’t complain. Use at least four different publication sources, such as:
◦ Peer reviewed Journals,
◦ ASCE Civil Engineer magazine or other professional publications,
◦ At most 1 source can be from a website/blog/non-engineering publication.
Different issues of a journal or magazine count as separate publication sources.
• The first submittal is a bibliography of your articles. Use ASCE bibliography format. The due date is listed on the syllabus and in BeachBoard. At this time, I only want the bibliography, not the actual paper.
◦ The point of the bibliography submittal is simply to get you thinking about and starting the research process on this paper.
• The second submittal is the actual paper. Prepare a 4-5 page double-spaced report on the articles. The report is more than just a summary of each paper. It should be a synthesis of all of the papers, discussing how each of the papers / issues you researched affects the field of civil engineering or society. The due date for the paper is in the syllabus and on BeachBoard. The final paper must also include the bibliography.
◦ If you find additional resources or want to change references/topics entirely, that is fine.
• I do not care if you use APA / MLA or some other format. What I do care about is that you submit a well-written, properly cited synthesis of the material you researched.