Assignment 1: Foreign Source Income Rules (Client Letter)
Due Week 2 and worth 160 points
You are a CPA working as a tax professional engaged to provide tax advice to a client with operations in the United States and internationally. The client has specifically requested information on strategies that she can use to minimize the tax effects of foreign sourced income.
Use your text, the Internet, and / or Strayer Learning Resource Center to research the various rules regarding source rules for income and deductions.
Write a one to two (1-2) page paper in which you:
1. Create a letter to communicate to your client about the source rules for income and deductions and the conditions under which income received in foreign countries may or may not be taxed in the U.S.
2. Present a proposal to the client as to how to reduce the U.S. tax impact from income received from outside the U.S. Provide details to support your proposal.
3. Use at least two (2) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
4. Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
a. Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
b. Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the students name, the professors name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
c. Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Analyze the source rules reach of the U.S. Tax Code in regard to international taxation.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in international tax planning and research.
• Write clearly and concisely about international tax planning and research using proper writing mechanics.